As the new year begins, I've decided to keep track of everything that I'm reading.

I have the (sometimes) bad habit of reading multiple books simultaneously.  Often the number rises so high that a few titles fall off the edge of the universe, never to be finished. As of January 2nd, I was reading:

Post Captain, Book 2 in the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian.  Since the complete set of novels is more than 6000 pages long, I'll likely be at this one for years to come.

The Coming of Galahad by Charles Williams. A collection of poetry concerning the Arthurian legend.

Magnus Ridolph by Jack Vance. Short stories about the exploits of a private detective in the far distant future, set amongst exotic planets and imaginary cultures.

Blown to Hell by Walter Pincus. A concise account of the nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands, and its impact on the islands and their inhabitants.

Cove Point on the Chesapeake by Carol McCabe Booker. The history of a small Maryland town on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay.

Restoring the Kinship Worldview by Wahinkpe Topa and Darcia Narvaez, which contrasts how indigenous peoples relate to nature with how "civilized" people do.

Cancer Ward by Aleksander Solzhenitsyn (reading in the original Russian)

And I ought to add 2 titles which I've abandoned months ago, but intend to "someday" pick up again:

David's Crown by Malcolm Guite. Poetry inspired by the Psalms.

The Fate of the Earth by Jonathan Schell. An in-depth look at the probable consequences of all-out nuclear war.

And of course I am forever reading the Bible. I just finished the book of Esther, and will probably now return to the Gospel according to Luke, before once again dipping into the Old Testament.  I've read the entire Bible multiple times already, but one can never read it too often. There's always more to discover.

For now, I'll stop with just listing them.  I am close to finishing Cove Point. I expect to knock off 2 or even 3 more titles by month's end. Future postings will deal with what I am learning from these (and future) books, and whether I recommend them to others.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog